How do humans change?
- You gotta want it. At least more of you must want it than doesn’t want it. You gotta be sick and tired of being sick and tired. When at the crossroads of either facing the pain of staying the same or the pain of doing something different, you must choose the pain of changing.
- Believe you can do it. Or at least, fake it till you make it and have others around you who believe you can do it. Remember, nothing happens in the world until it has first happened in your mind.
- Take massive action. You didn’t think it would be easy, did you? Those overnight miracles aren’t overnight. The “before” and “after” pictures skip all those moments, hours and days in the middle of the necessary grueling hard work. This goes back to Step #1 above – you gotta want it enough to keep at it. This leads to Step #4 below.
- Expect resistance. Just because you choose the path of change, doesn’t mean that laziness, fatigue, low self-worth, criticism, old voices from the past and all other kinds of internal and external shit won’t show up in droves to defeat you. They will. Be ready. It’s called the Law of Inertia … the couch is more appealing than your running shoes.
- Evolve through feedback. Keep tweaking. Keep moving. Every imperfect step gets you closer to the change you want and you deserve. All in the name of the best you possible.
- Celebrate! Some of us forget this part. Stop now and again and look at how far you have come. You deserve a full-on parade and if no one is throwing it for you, throw one for yourself. You are doing it. Kicking ass in your life. That deserves a few balloons and a bottle of bubbly.